Why study a Diploma of Business online?
When I was passed over for yet another promotion, I was advised to get a qualification to improve my chances. HR said that if I had a relevant formal qualification, I would have been a shoo-in for the position.
That night, I sat at my computer and started researching the various courses that would help me with my career. From short certificate courses to diploma programs to undergraduate degrees. After spending weeks comparing the various options available, I found myself deciding on an online business diploma course click here to read more about this course.
Why a Diploma of Business?
The course that I was interested in would have helped me develop a good understanding of the fundamental business operations and the foundations I would need to help me advance in my career.
I would have learnt how to manage and analyse risks, prepare and understand budgets, recruit and manage an efficient workforce, build an innovative workplace, and most importantly, market a product or service. After all, not how will a business flourish without its marketing team?
It is important to compare the units that a course offers as not all business diploma programs are the same. They offer different units, meaning you will be learning effectively different topics. I chose the one that I believed would have given me the best learning experience and the course structure and content that was exactly what I was looking for.
Why did I choose to study online and not on-campus?
As I don’t have the luxury of taking a year off to concentrate on my studies, online learning was really the only option. It enables me to work around my schedule (work can get pretty grueling around the end of the financial year) and it gives me the flexibility to access my Trainers and the support team at the click of a button.
Undertaking any course, online or on-campus does not mean that your social and family life is over. You just have to be disciplined, manage your time well, be organised, be resourceful, and most importantly, PLAN, PLAN, PLAN! Without planning when and what you will learn, you will find yourself scrambling for time and you will find that all you’re doing is trying to complete the assessments and not actually learning.
If you’re afraid to jump with both feet in, talk to the training provider of your choice and investigate if it is possible for you to start off on a part-time timetable and later on take on more units. If not, find a provider that is willing to give you that flexibility.
Advantages of online learning
- Improve technical skills and knowledge and work around your own schedule – ideal for those who have work and family commitments that they cannot skirt. In 2017, over 3 million students between the ages 20-65 who enrolled in a certificate or diploma course was already in the workforce. Without the option of studying online, these students would have less likely been taking on further education to enhance their career options.
- Study at your own pace – no rushing to meet the lecturer’s deadlines. You can read through your course material at 2pm on a Saturday instead of rushing to attend a lecture on-campus at 9am on a Monday morning. You get a set enrolment period in which you will have to complete your units in, but you are given that entire length to complete the course.
- No commuting required – all you need is your computer and a stable internet connection. No need to be spending hours in traffic or on public transport just to get to classes! On top of saving time commuting, you would also save on travel costs!
- Access to a variety of courses regardless of your geographical location – you get the option of studying the best course for you regardless of where you live. Be it in another city, or even across the country! You might find that you have more options not just in the types of courses, but you can also be more picky with which training provider or university you want to study with.
- Study in a comfortable environment – forget the hard plastic chairs in lecture halls and the cold tuition chambers, you have the luxury of studying in the comforts of your own home – and for some, in their own bed! Where ever you decide to study, online learning provides you with this option, unlike on-campus learning.
After weighing up all of my options, I decided that the online business diploma I had chosen was the best for me. Make sure you weigh up all of the options available and choose the right course and the right college for you. With online learning, you don’t have to compromise!